Monday, November 15, 2010

Hybridity and Polyvalence: What's Your Status?

Our Beginning Theory book discusses the roles of postcolonial critics. Of all their listed roles, I found this one the most interesting and applicable to the non-theorist:
“They celebrate hybridity and ‘cultural polyvalency’, that is, the situation whereby individuals and groups belong simultaneously to more than one culture…”
Hybridity is defined as the creation of new transcultural forms within the contact zone produced by colonization. That is to say, it is the cross-breeding created as a direct result of colonization in pre-populated territories. Examples include Pidgin and Creole; furthermore, the word ‘pidgin’ has come to stand for a simplified language that develops as a means of communication between two or more groups that do not have a language in common. I find this to be a kind of perfect definition. These transcultures are best exemplified by their linguistic and tradition crossbreeding.
The idea behind polyvalence is not that complicated; in fact, it is covered by many introductory level sociology classes. In sociology, such classes and groups are called ‘status groups,’ and many times the multiple status groups you belong to can conflict. For example, my research professor is both my teacher and my friend. This is a status group conflict for both of us because when I make a bad grade on a test, I can’t hold it against my friend. Likewise, he has to be impartial when grading my work.
Beginning Theory, P. 192

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the idea behind polyvalence is not complicated but the act of polyvalence is complicated. Because the multiple groups you belong to can cause internal friction, how do people deal with that friction. It is interesting to think as you said with you teacher/friend dilemma, are you really not mad at your friend because he is your professor or do you just tell yourself to mask it because that is what you ought to do?

    ReplyDelete